Saturday, February 21, 2004

In this New York Daily News article, Furor just before Gibson's 'The Passion' opens, Hutton Gibson, Mel's father, rants about how the evil the Jews are: "Is the Jew still actively anti-Christian? He is, for by being a Jew, he is anti-everyone else."

I've been reading a lot about the Gibson's "Passion" (there's even a special section in this week's Forward about it), and I will be curious to see the film myself -- whether the problematic lines from Matthew have been retained (in which the Jewish crowd says "His blood be on us and our children"), and how the Jews are characterized. It's not a cinematic experience I'm exactly looking forward to, since I don't enjoy gory movies and I prefer to enjoy movies rather than watch them with a close eye for anti-semitism.

No comments:

Post a Comment