Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mahmood Al-Yousif (Bahraini blogger) on the protests there

A Bahraini blogger whom I used to read (I fell out with him over the second Lebanon war) has posted some very interesting remarks about the protests in Bahrain: "One thing is for sure: Bahrain before the 14th of February 2011 is most definitely different from the Bahrain after it."

"I have never witnessed protests such as these in my life in Bahrain. I’ve most certainly did not witness the level of determination to wrest those demands either. And from what I can personally see, people no longer care if they’re killed while trying, so much so that they are more than happy to get their wives, sisters, mothers and children accompanying them while protesting. I’ve personally seen disabled people at the Pearl Roundabout, some on crutches, in wheelchairs or pushing their Zimmer frames. All of whom didn’t come out to have a picnic, they, instead firmly believe in the sanctity and genuineness of their rightful demands."

The determination and courage of people in Bahrain, Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Libya is simply astonishing and puts us Americans to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment