Saturday, April 17, 2004

Wow -- see these brilliant words from Michael Moore about the Iraqi insurgents (via Andrew Sullivan:

The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not "insurgents" or "terrorists" or "The Enemy." They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow -- and they will win.


The Minutemen? The Saddam loyalists in Fallujah and Sadr's militia? These people are the Minutemen, the Revolution? What is this? It seems to me that one can oppose every aspect of the American invasion and occupation of Iraq, from beginning to end -- without fantasizing that the people fighting American and other coalition troops are the "Minutemen"! I had thought that this kind of nonsense was restricted to the extremists of ANSWER (for example, in their most recent anti-war demonstrations) -- it's very disturbing to see that the likes of Michael Moore are spreading this idiocy too.

I did support the war in Iraq, but I also think that we are now doing our very best to completely screw things up there, both for ourselves and for the Iraqis. That is what makes me think that my friends who opposed American intervention could, maybe, be right -- not the idea that the people we're fighting against are equivalent to the Minutemen of the American Revolution!

I still have some hopes that our intervention might result in more good than bad -- but I believe that things are hanging in the balance right now, and President Bush is not giving me a whole lot of hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment