Sunday, August 10, 2003

For those interested in the relationship between early Jewish and Christian mysticism, there is a wonderful web site at Jewish Roots of Eastern Christian Mysticism. It includes many articles, including one of mine that I gave at last year's Society of Biblical Literature meeting, Amulets and Angels: Visionary Experience in the Testament of Job and the Hekhalot Literature, and a short excerpt from my book.

Another good site with papers from past SBL conferences is the Society of Biblical Literature Early Jewish and Christian Mysticism Webpage. It includes papers going back to 1996.

As for my own scholarship, I'm currently in the throes of writing book reviews on recent books in Jewish mysticism. The beginning of the next semester is fast approaching, so I'm also starting to plan my fall courses -- introduction to Hebrew Scriptures (in translation) and a history course, Jews in the Ancient and Medieval Worlds. This fall I will also be engaged in planning a course that I will be teaching with another professor in the spring -- the tentative title is Jewish and Christian Biblical Interpretation. We'll be looking at the interplay between Jewish and Christian interpretation, showing how Jews and Christians sometimes borrowed from each other, and sometimes also used biblical interpretation as a crucial site of polemics against each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment