Friday, July 18, 2014

A day in Zurich

I arrived in Zurich last night from Israel, prepared for a brief vacation in a peaceful land after too much strife, sadness, hatred, and war. This afternoon, I took a boat trip on Lake Zurich. It was very beautiful, with light sparkling on the water, and the high snow-topped mountains in the distance. 







When the boat came back, I started to wander around the old town, including going into the "woman church," the Fraumünster, which has beautiful stained glass panels by Chagall in the chapel. The church was first built in the 9th century.

The photo on the right is from the "Jacob" window, and shows Jacob wrestling with the angel.

Unfortunately, that was not all I encountered in my wanderings around the old town. After visiting the Fraumünster, I went to a cafe called Storchen Zurich and had some dinner. When I had finished, I got up to leave and continue my walk through the town.

As I was about to cross back over the river, I encountered an anti-Israel demonstration. My next post is about the demonstration.

No comments:

Post a Comment